05 March 2011

Tehhhxaaaaaas (Update Mini Series Part 3/5)

While I wasn't planning to return to the States at all during my time in France and interview brought me back. I had applied to a program called “Texas Teaching Fellows” (TTF) which is an alternative teaching certification program. In their application process, they have a longer than average interview process. It seemed quite daunting at the outset, but turned out to be well run and reasonable. The interview consists of a 5 minute sample teaching session, a writing segment, a mock faculty meeting discussing current education issues and an individual interview. Given all these components, a skype or phone interview is not possible. So back to the land of large ice filled sodas I went. After some worrying delays and route changes, I ended up with a layover in Newark airport, waiting for my flight to Austin. It took quite a lot for me not to sneak out of the airport to the train and just show up in kitchen at home. I decided that may complicate things a but seeing as I was not ticketed through Newark on the return, and I had an interview in Austin in less than 16 hours.
Anthony picked me up from the Austin airport, and after a trip to Wal-Mart to get toiletries (Everyone who is returning fro abroad should go to Wal-Mart as their first thing back in the States because it is such a hearty “YOU'RE IN AMERICA”) and it was early to sleep.
The interview started around nine, though I got there earlier, and lasted until about 2pm. There were some breaks and a Q & A session in there though, so it wasn't excruciating, though by the end I was starting to fade due to jet leg. I didn't feel like it went the best, but apparently it did, because I week later I found out I had been accepted into the program! I'll be starting the “summer institute” on June 7ish, going through the end of July, and hopefully in a classroom in early August.
The rest of my time in Austin was nice and restful, full of English books, movies, tacos and ice cream. Leaving Austin wasn't too difficult because I was headed to see Orrin and only 5 days later, Anthony would arrive in France!

No comments:

Post a Comment