30 January 2011

Ben l'Oncle Soul and Brunch!

Thursday night I headed to a concert in St. Lo with some lovely ladies from choir. The ticket was only 20 euros and I figured it was some good bonding time as well, so despite not knowing the performer at all, i decided to go.

What a good choice it was! The concert was fantastic! Turns out that Ben l'Oncle Soul is actually pretty big- as in I was cooking dinner the other day and his music video came on!

Here's one of his most famous songs "Je suis qu'un soul man" (I'm just a soul man)



The concert was particularly fun as Bea picked me up and then we headed over to pick up Monique and Francine. They had a whiskey before we got there so they were laughing and quite loquacious.

The concert had young and old people and it was actually kind of funny to see such an age range in a crowd. The group put on a really energetic performance as well. To be honest it was actually one of my favorite nights I've had since getting to France. Live music, a good energy, people actually talking TO me and although it was something small, it just really made me feel as if I was part of a group.

Well that wonderful group of women continues to be wonderful. This morning we had brunch chez Bea. Brunch is a foreign concept, but with the guidance of "quiche counts for brunch as well as fruit salads" we ended up with a nice spread. Bea lives and her husband runs an organic dairy farm. So we were a bit out into the country, and they just built there house a few years ago and it's a really interesting departure from a typical french home. It's got mroe of an open floor plan and a spiral staircase leading upstairs!

Our lovely brunch consisted of granola bars (made by Lisa, and American), sausages (made by Felicity and Richard- Brits) banana bread (me!), teurgoule (amazing), 2 quiches (though the dog got into a bit of one of them), 2 fruit salads, homemade yogurt (Bea- she lives on the dairy farm- remember?), a prune/apple crumble, bread/regular/savory/toast, and a chocolate mousse. Needless to say- I absolutely stuffed myself. As I said to Lisa, not all concepts of the brunch translated well (chocolate mousse) but I think that actually worked out for the better!

Felicity and Richard invited me round afterward for tea and a nice walk. It was nice to be in homes all day rather than a dorm room (though I've done my best to make it my own). Felicity and I took a nice walk to digest all of that lovely food along a path that used to a train track in Cambernon. I think you could potentially walk all the way up to Cherbourg on it.

The fun of the weekend is over and now I need to work on lesson plans :(
On the brightside- Mom and Dad visit in 6 days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment