04 January 2011

Happy New Year!

Sorry I've been a little absent, and I still have to finish the blog posts from Vienna. I'm safe and back in Coutances, I got in Saturday which gave me some settling in time and a chance to buy groceries. I'm back to "the grind" but so far happier about classes. During and before the break I had really been freaking out about my lessons, mostly because I felt they were horrible, directionless, not beneficial and off target.

Some of the teachers don't tell me what to do with their students, some are easy to figure out, others tell me exactly what to do and others it's a surprise each time. I felt like all my lessons were crap and I was mostly just being hard on myself. Having never taken any classes on how to teach, or teaching anything other than swimming lessons (I can however teach you how to do a great dive) it's been kind of difficult to figure out what to teach and what is level appropriate. Some classes it's like teaching a lifeguard course while also teaching kids to blow bubbles. I got really down on myself about it, and each night before classes would be spent with my stomach in knots hoping for it all to be over already, starting again on Sunday afternoons.

So far my classes have been going well enough, and Anthony reminded me of something important over the break- "Have any of your classes seriously crashed and burned?" "No" "Then why are you so worried, things are working fine."

I'm trying to create a schedule for myself where I'm actually getting things done during the day, rather than waking up for class and then taking naps after. This new year is bringing quite a few resolutions, some going hand in hand with each other, some to get the most out of this experience, some for when I get back to the States. It's hard not having many friends here, but I'm here so I need to make the best and take full advantage of it.


I hope 2011 brings the best for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment