11 December 2010

A visit from Dad

Well, I've had a fun filled 4 days because my wonderful Dad came for a visit!
He met me up in Cherbourg where I had to get my medical visits for my visa done. We had some weird scheduling to work around due to conference calls and my two medical visits but it all went well. My first medical appointment was for a chest x-ray to make sure I don't have tuberculosis, despite the fact that I've been teaching and working with the students for 2 and a half months at this point, but alright France, I'll get a chest x-ray for you. The second visit in the afternoon I would barely even call a physical. It took about 1o minutes long involved getting my blood pressure, height and weight, listening to my tuberculosis free lungs and asking me if I smoke. That's it. Not even looking in the ears, that weird press on the tummy thing, check eyesight or anything else. I was happy to get out of there though and get back to hanging out with my dad.

We explored some of the main shopping streets in Cherbourg, had a lovely lunch, and visited the Christmas market (which had a pony!! and churos!!)

Once we got to Coutances and checked Dad into his hotel room we headed out for galettes (savory crepes) for dinner at Le Ratelier. Dinner was amazing, though I couldn't finished or take advantage of a dessert crepe because of the churos that were sitting heavily in my stomach from earlier.

On Thursday I gave dad a tour of the town, bringing him to any place imaginable in order to extend the tour, but he was also happy to have a more relaxing day after his whorl-wind business trip. We also headed over to Agon-Coutainville to walk along the Atlantic Ocean. And like any visit from a parents when the kid has starting living on their own- a trip to the grocery store. It was great to have a car to bring them back in AND Dad got to experience the fun of carrying groceries up 5 flights of stairs!

Me and Dad at the beach in Agon-Coutainville

Friday we headed to Chartres, about an hour away from Orly and therefor an easier drive for Dad when leaving Saturday. It had heavily snowed a few days before and so our unprepared feet got to walk around in the days-old snow slush; at least my shoes dried by the next morning.
We visited the Cathedral and the beautiful stained glass windows, and the narrow pedestrian streets that reminded me of Diagon alley from Harry Potter. Dinner was, again, wonderful, especially because it ended with a hot fudge sundae :D

Me and Dad on the narrow streets in Chartres. I tried to get some of the lights that were behind us in the photos, but they didn't show up well.

Saturday morning I had an early train out of Chartres so I could connect in Paris and get back to Coutances (7:30am!). It would have been nice to get some extra time with Dad and leave a little later, but I definitely wouldn't have gotten any extra sleep since Dad sounds like a broken tractor when he snores.

I spent the train ride back missing him already, but glad that he got to see Coutances and at least visit for a little while. I wish it was possible for everyone to visit, not only so I could see you all, but also so I could share my tiny little town with you.

4 comments:

  1. Correction - The Christmas Market in Cherbourg had a donkey (plus a sheep and 2 goats!), not a pony. Much better!

    Great visit - how do I get on the Anna Plan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I got distracted by the ponies that were at the Coutances Christmas market today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE sleeping with broken tractors!!!! What's wrong with you, Anna?

    Sounds like a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annaaaaa..........miss you so much dear!
    I will be following your blog!
    What a great visit, anyway!
    xoxoxo :)

    ReplyDelete